POKOK SENA- Twenty-one pupils from Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Jabi here, received outpatient treatment at the Emergency Department of the Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital (HSB) in Alor Setar following a bout of food poisoning.
Kedah Health director Datuk Dr Norhizan Ismail said the seven male and 14 female students, aged between 11 and 12, were suspected to have food poisoning after consuming a ‘daging masak hitam’ (beef cooked in soy sauce) dish prepared by the school hostel kitchen operator for the pre-dawn meal at about 4.30am today.
“The Kedah Health Department would like to confirm that the Kota Setar District Health Office was alerted by the HSB Emergency Department regarding the vomiting and diarrhea cases involving the hostel students of SK Jabi in Pokok Sena,” he said in a statement here.
Dr Norhizan said subsequently, the hostel dining hall was inspected while food samples were taken for tests before the kitchen was directed to close down temporarily, in accordance with Section 18(1) of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988.
“We have also advised the school to continue monitoring the students and to contact us (state health department) immediately if the food poisoning cases persist,” he added.- BERNAMA