KUALA LUMPUR – The country is probably facing the largest dengue epidemic ever, with over 40,000 cases and 157 deaths reported since January this year.
Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam said the number was staggering when compared to what was reported during the same period last year.
“The number of deaths has doubled this year as compared to the same period last year, and 30 per cent more cases have been reported,” he told reporters after attending the breaking of fast with the media here Tuesday.
Dr Subramaniam said many new dengue cases which were reported this year were those of the type which had not been seen previously.
“Previously, it was the ‘bleeding dengue’. Now, there is liver failure, pneumonia, brain infection (caused by the dengue). The virus behavior is different now,” he noted.
Meanwhile, when asked to comment on the ‘sarong’ incident at the Sungai Buloh Hospital, Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the visitor in question was stopped by a security guard, and not the hospital management.
However, he said the guard had been issued a warning and would undergo training to make him understand the hospital’s standard attire and guidelines.
“The guard has been with the hospital for just a month,” he added.
Local media today reported that a woman was stopped by a security guard at the Sungai Buloh Hospital visitors’ gate on June 16, for wearing a pair of shorts.