GEORGETOWN – Following are the chronology of events leading to the arrest of Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng:
* March 17, 2016: Tasek Gelugor MP Datuk Shabudin Yahaya, during a Dewan Rakyat sitting, called on the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to investigate the purchase of a bungalow at Jalan Pinhorn by Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng for RM2.8 million, deemed to be below market price.
* March 18, 2016: Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng claimed that the purchase of the house in Jalan Pinhorn for RM2.8 million was made on a willing-buyer, willing-seller basis with its owner Phang Li Koon, without coercion from any party.
* March 18, 2016: MACC began receiving reports on Lim’s purchase of a bungalow below market price from various quarters, including political parties and non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
* March 19, 2016: Lim urged the MACC to expedite investigations into the purchase of his house in Jalan Pinhorn.
* March 20, 2016: Lim invited the media to visit his bungalow in Jalan Pinhorn.
* March 22, 2016: Phang Li Koon made a statutory declaration saying she sold the bungalow on a willing-buyer, willing-seller basis, which was agreed upon on June 23, 2014.
* March 23, 2016: MACC received eight complaints from various parties on the the purchase of the bungalow by the chief minister.
* April 1, 2016: Phang gave a statement to the police regarding the purchase of the bungalow by the chief minister at the Northeast District Police Headquarters.
* April 2, 2016: Police complete investigation papers regarding Phang’s statutory declaration which allegedly contained false information.
* April 17, 2016: MACC advised all parties not to issue any statement regarding the issue of Lim’s bungalow.
* May 6, 2016: Lim and his wife Betty Chew, Phang and the Kuala Lumpur International Dental Centre (KLIDC) owner Datuk Tang Yong Chew recorded their statements with the MACC.
* May 7, 2016: Lim was once again present at the Penang MACC office to record his statement pertaining the purchase of the bungalow.
* May 22, 2016: MACC officers went to Lim’s house to take further statements regarding the purchase of the property.
* May 25, 2016: The investigation papers against Lim Guan Eng were submitted to the Attorney-General.
* June 6, 2016: The investigation papers regarding the purchase of the bungalow by Lim were returned to the MACC for further probing.
* June 29, 2016: Lim was arrested by the MACC on the 28th floor of the Komtar building at 5.45pm, while Phang was arrested at 4.15 pm, at her 6th floor-office in Penang Garden. – BERNAMA