SEPANG – Datuk Lee Chong Wei has vowed to never give up on his fight to return to competitive badminton as he left for London today for the final stage of preparation before his doping case hearing.
Chong Wei, whose fate will be decided at the hearing conducted by the Badminton World Federation in Amsterdam on Saturday, said he is eager to make a comeback.
He will meet with lawyer Mike Morgan in London to finalise the details of his case.
BA of Malaysia (BAM) general manager Kenny Goh and BAM council member cum lawyer Jadadish Chandra left together with the former World No 1 and will accompany him in Amsterdam as well.
It was an emotional departure for the player who was seen carrying his two-year-old son Kingston at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport. His wife Datin Wong Mew Choo, who is pregnant with their second child, was also present.
“It is getting nearer for me, only a few days left and I am hoping for a positive result,” said the 33-year-old.
“I am going to London to help my lawyer (Morgan) prepare the best possible and we could know by Saturday (the sentence).
“I want to thank the fans for their support and giving me the courage and spirit to deal with this. I will never give up.
“I am sad to leave my family behind but this is important for my career.
“I want to settle this quickly and start competing again especially after what happened at the Malaysian Open.”
National shuttlers had a poor outing at the Malaysian Open last week. Zulfadli Zulkiffli, Malaysia’s sole representative in the men’s singles, crashed out in the first round.
The two-time Olympic silver medallist tested positive for the banned substance dexamethasone at the World Championships in Copenhagen last year and has been provisionally suspended from competition since November.
A lighter sentence could still see Chong Wei qualifying for the Rio Olympics next year. The maximum suspension is two years. – NST