CHIANG MAI: The remains of the 13 Malaysians who died in a bus crash here on Sunday are likely to be brought back home later today.
Malaysian Embassy officials told reporters in Maharaj Nakhon Chiang Mai Hospital that Thai officials were trying to wrap up their interviews with family members of the victims by today.
“They are trying to complete the necessary paperwork as well.
“If that is settled then the bodies can be flown out of here today itself,” said an embassy official.
Two Hercules C130 planes – one by the Malaysian Air Force, and one by the Thai government – are on standby to transport the bodies to Senai Airport in Johor.
All the deceased are from Batu Pahat, Johor.
The next of kin were at the hospital to facilitate police procedures. They had been interviewed by the hospital forensics department and the police. Identification of the bodies and victims’ personal belongings are currently taking place.