CELINE Dion’s husband wants to “die in her arms”. The ‘My Heart Will Go On’ hitmaker’s 73-year-old husband RenÃ© AngÃ©lil is battling throat cancer and his final wish is to be with the singer when he passes away.
Recalling their conversation, she said: “I’ll say, ‘You’re scared? I understand. Talk to me about it.’
“And RenÃ© says to me, ‘I want to die in your arms.’ OK, fine, I’ll be there, you’ll die in my arms.”
However, on his instructions, she has returned to Las Vegas for her residency despite it “freaking” him out when she’s not at home with him.
She added to USA Today: “Don’t forget, he’s been the leader of the band all my life. So it [hacks] him off to not see me all day and over here working. But he wants me to do this, do the show, do the interviews. But he freaks when I’m not home with him, too …
“I didn’t want to be here at first, I don’t need it. Don’t get me wrong, I love singing for people, but I have priorities. But RenÃ© really gave me a gift.
“All my grieving, it was during this last year. I think I’ve got this. For now. When it hits me, it’s going to hit me. But my biggest job is to tell my husband, we’re fine. I’ll take care of our kids. You’ll watch us from another spot.”
Earlier this year, an emotional Celine Dion was left in tears as she opened up about her husband and manager RenÃ© AngÃ©lil’s battle with throat cancer that has left him so poorly that he is unable to eat.
The Think Twice superstar broke down as she revealed how she nurses her husband as faced second battle with cancer, and how the couple are bravely facing each day as it comes.
Celine and her husband RenÃ© are parents to three sons, and Celine took a hiatus amid her Las Vegas residency to care for him during his treatment.
In the interview with ABC News, Celine told reporter Deborah Roberts how she feeds her husband through a tube as he is unable to eat normally because of the treatment.
â€œHe canâ€™t eat so I feed him,â€ she said. â€œHeâ€™s got a feeding tube. I have to feed him three times a day.â€
The couple married in 1994 after knowing each other for 14 years.
â€œWe are taking life one day at a time,â€ Celine explained in the emotional interview, which is set to air Wednesday on Good Morning America.
Celine returned to the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in late August to resume her Las Vegas residency on hiatus last summer to care for her husband.
She briefly retired to help her husband back in 1999 when he was first diagnosed.
“It is very emotional for me, and I’m anticipating the emotions to grow even more as the date gets closer,” Dion told People magazine about her Vegas return.
The singer’s decade-long residency at the Colosseum began in March 2003 with “A New Day.”
The show ended in December 2007, tallying up a box office gross of more than $400 million.
Dion returned to the venue in the spring of 2011 for “Celine,” which has hauled in $133.3 million so far. – Mirror