Home Slider

PETALING JAYA: Datuk Seri Nazir Razak has denied news reports claiming that he is behind the setting up of a political party.

It is not a new political party, just an idea of setting up a non-governmental organisation (NGO), says the brother of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

“I refer to recent news reports that I am setting up a new political party. This is not true,” said the CIMB Group chairman in a statement yesterday.

Nazir said he had been growing “increasingly concerned” about the Malaysian socio-political environment and its impact on the economy.

“In this context, I have had conversations with like-minded friends, including Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah, about the need to better enable moderate Malaysians to voice their views, concerns and suggestions,” said Nazir.

“We have discussed setting up an NGO but it remains just an idea at this moment.”

A news report that said Nazir was starting a new non-partisan party to reach out to all races emerged on Tuesday.

It said Nazir had been meeting with business leaders in Britain and Kuala Lumpur.

The report came out after DAP’s announcement that the Pakatan Rakyat coalition was dead, saying it no longer existed after the motion by PAS to sever ties with DAP.-The Star

KUALA LUMPUR – Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak today launched ‘eRezeki’, a programme to help the low-income group to earn extra income from working online.

He said it was also hoped that the initiative would be the income booster for the households in the bottom 40 per cent (B40) of the income pyramid.

“We must take the initiative as a positive intervention, I don’t believe that if we leave it to market forces, in this capitalistic economy, it will give an impact that will increase the income of the B40 group,” he said at the launch of the eRezeki programme at the Desa Rejang People’s Housing Project (PPR) here today.

The prime minister explained that the eRezeki initiative would bring about major impact that would help increase the income of the B40 group from RM2,500 a month in 2014 to RM5,000 a month in 2020.

“In this digital era, we don’t want it to be limited to those in Cyberjaya, but it must be expanded to the grass root, so that it would help create a new group with increased income,” he said.

Najib said the programme would also train and match the B40 society with the ability to perform micro digital tasks from foreign and domestic sources so that they would be able to earn extra income.

As such, he said 11 eRezeki centres would be built in stages across the country by end of this year.

He said 22 representatives of e-Rezeki centres would be operational nationwide, including at the 1Malaysia Internet Centre, community colleges, Urban Transformation Centre (UTC) and Rural Transformation Centre (RTC) to enable the public, especially the targeted group, to participate in the programme.

The eRezeki programme is an initiative of Digital Malaysia, which aims at connecting the low income group with the online income channel.

More information can be obtained at www.erezeki.my or by calling 1-800-88-8338. – BERNAMA

KUALA LUMPUR – Johor Football Association President Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim or better known as TMJ urged the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) to stop using the services of Johor Darul Ta’zim (JDT) players for national duty in the future.

Tunku Ismail said every time the National team lost, JDT players are blamed because they make up the core of the National team.

“There are people who blame Johor Darul Ta’zim players for the heavy defeat suffered by the National team. My advise to the team management is to stop calling up JDT players. Maybe there are better players out there,” he said in the Johor Darul Ta’zim’s official Facebook, Southern Tigers, today.

Six of the eight JDT players in the National team played in the 0-6 loss to Palestine last night, in a 2018 World Cup Qualifier, at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil.

Those who saw action were Safiq Rahim, Farizal Marlias, Mohd Fahdli Mohd Shas, Mahalli Jasuli, Mohd Amri Yahyah and Mohd Safee Sali while two others in the list are Mohd Nazrin Mohd Nawi and Putera Nadher Amarhan who were not fielded due to injuries. – BERNAMA

KUALA LUMPUR – Pakatan Rakyat (PR) or the Opposition Pact still exists with the cooperation between PAS and Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) although the DAP has declared that the pact no longer exists.

PAS Youth head, Nik Mohamad Abduh Nik Abdul Aziz said PR was set up on the principle of cooperation and consensus between the three parties and whatever decision made must be through consensus and not made individually.

“PR is not over although one disappears. It’s the DAP that is over…we still have the PR, there are more than two parties, thus the coalition still exists, it depends on the relationship between PAS and PKR.

“We remain with the PR. The DAP decision is not to dissolve the PR…this means that he made his own decision. We did not leave the PR…If he rejects us, we have the PKR,” he said at the Parliament lobby today.

Nik Abduh, who is also the Member of Parliament for Pasir Mas, was commenting on the DAP decision today declaring that the Pakatan Rakyat, which comprises the party, PKR and PAS, no longer existed.

DAP general secretary, Lim Guan Eng said the decision which was made following the PAS General Assembly to sever ties with the DAP had ‘killed’ the pact.

The DAP central executive committee, at its meeting yesterday, reached a consensus on the dissolution of the Opposition Pact.

Nik Abduh added that the future of the PR was in the hands of the PKR to decide so that the crisis would not prolong.

Meanwhile, PKR vice-president and Pandan Member of Parliament Rafizi Ramli said he would discuss the latest development at the party’s Political Bureau weekly meeting to be held at the party’s headquarters, here tonight.

“I take note of the DAP statement on the position of the DAP and Pakatan Rakyat as signed by YAB Lim Guan Eng, the DAP general secretary just now.

“The Keadilan leadership at all levels will not issue any statement until the stand of the party on the matter had been finalised,” he said in a statement. – BERNAMA

PETALING JAYA: DAP will continue to support PKR in the Selangor state government, says party secretary-general Lim Guan Eng.

After declaring that Pakatan Rakyat has ceased to exist, Lim said that DAP would support the leadership of Selangor Menteri Besar Azmin Ali based on Pakatan’s common policy and the pact’s 2013 general election manifesto.

“The DAP will work with Parti KeADILan Rakyat and all other forces who aspire to see the end of Umno/Barisan Nasional’s one-party rule to reshape and realign Malaysian politics with the aim of winning Putrajaya for the people,” said Lim in a statement on Tuesday.

The statement was issued after the party’s CEC meeting on Monday night.

DAP and PAS have 15 seats each in the Selangor state assembly while PKR has 13 seats. Barisan Nasional has 12 seats with former Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim the sole independent representative.

The break-up of Pakatan could result in a hung state assembly.

Penang chief minister and DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng today announced that Pakatan Rakyat has met its demise.

“The DAP central executive committee (last night) accepts the PAS muktamar’s motion to sever ties with DAP and effectively, that Pakatan ceases to exist.

“As Pakatan was formed by the three parties based on consensus and bound by the common policy framework, the PAS muktamar’s motion effectively killed off Pakatan.

“Pakatan therefore ceases to exist,” he added in a media statement.

Lim said DAP will work with PKR and other forces who aspire to see the end of Umno and BN’s one-party rule to reshape and realign Malaysian politics with the aim of winning Putrajaya for the people.

“DAP will work towards a broad based and principled new coalition that shall emerge to fill the political vacuum that can rekindle hopes of change to realise our Malaysian dream for a better future for all,”
he added.

As for the Selangor state government, he said DAP will support for the leadership of Selangor Menteri Besar Mohd Azmin Ali (photo) to re-frame the state government with a new functioning coalition.

This, he added, must be based on the common policy and the Selangor GE 2013 election manifesto that received an overwhelming mandate of more than 60% of the popular vote.

Hadi caused Pakatan paralysis

Delving into history, Lim said Pakatan was formed on April 1, 2008 as a joint response by DAP, PKR and PAS to the deep yearning for political change by Malaysian voters following the political tsunami of the 12th GE in 2008.

“With the massive support from Malaysians, the opposition won more than one-thirds of parliamentary seats and five state governments.

“The leaders of DAP, PKR and PAS agreed to form Pakatan with a set of shared principles in the hope of uniting all anti-Umno/BN forces to bring forth a new era of politics and governance of integrity, accountability and democracy in a progressive Malaysia.

“It was agreed then that decision making in Pakatan would be based on consensus and mutual trust at the leadership council.

“The coalition was not meant to be a coalition of convenience but one that is guided by ideas, principles and ideals for a new Malaysia,” he added.

However, Lim said in several major incidents over the past year, including the Selangor menteri besar crisis, decisions agreed upon by the leadership council was violated by PAS president Abdul Hadi Awang (photo).

This, he added, resulted in near-paralysis of the coalition.

He said the situation was exacerbated by Hadi’s willingness to forge a unity government with Umno and his support for Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak despite the 1MDB imbroglio.

“The breach of promise made personally by Hadi at the leadership council on Feb 10 to discuss the hudud laws proposed by PAS first with Pakatan partners before being tabled to the Kelantan state assembly or a private motion by Hadi in Parliament further immobilised the entire leadership council.

“This breach of promise by Hadi was followed by the momentous decision on June 6, when the PAS muktamar, the general assembly and the highest authority of the party, accepted without debate a motion to sever ties with DAP,” he added.-Malaysiakini

KUALA LUMPUR: The Pakatan Rakyat (PR) coalition formed in 2008 after the 12th general election is now officially dead, the DAP declared today when saying the matter was decided and agreed upon by the party’s central executive committee last night.

In a statement, DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng blamed Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang for the death of the coalition, saying the PAS president’s recent actions as well as the PAS Muktamar’s decision to sever ties with DAP meant PR’s Common Policy Framework (CPF) was broken.

“The DAP central executive committee accepts the PAS Muktamar’s motion severing ties with DAP and effectively, that Pakatan Rakyat ceases to exist,” Lim said.

“The DAP will work with Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) and all other forces who aspire to see the end of UMNO/Barisan Nasional’s one-party rule to reshape and realign Malaysian politics with the aim of winning Putrajaya for the people,” the Bagan MP added.

Lim pointed out that Hadi actions in the past ― such as his willingness to forge a unity government with Umno and his support for Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak even after it was revealed that Lembaga Tabung Haji (LTH) funds were used to purchase land from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) ― showed that it was impossible to maintain a political relationship with the Islamist party.

“The breach of promise made personally by Hadi at the Pakatan Rakyat Majlis Pimpinan (PR presidential council) on February 10 to discuss the hudud laws proposed by PAS first with Pakatan Rakyat partners at Majlis Pimpinan before being tabled to the Kelantan State Assembly or a private motion by Hadi in Parliament further immobilised the entire Pakatan Rakyat Majlis Pimpinan,” Lim added, referring to the PAS chief’s tabling a private member’s bill on hudud in Parliament.

Lim pointed out that the immediate effect of PR’s death as a coalition would be on the Selangor government where DAP will now push Mentri Besar Azmin Ali to “reframe the state government” with a new functioning coalition based on the PR Common Policy and the Selangor PR 2013 General Election manifesto.

“DAP will work towards a broad based and principled new coalition that shall emerge to fill the political vacuum that can rekindle hopes of change to realise our Malaysian dream for a better future for all,” he said.

Yesterday, PKR president Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail urged PR parties to review its internal relationships to strengthen the pact’s “progressive” parties.

She also said PKR acknowledges that there are currently problems within PR that demand immediate attention, but did not specify what she meant by those problems.

Dr Wan Azizah’s remarks come amid plans by Persatuan Ummah Sejahtera Malaysia (PasMa) to officially join PR as a political party and replace PAS.

PAS had on June 6 confirmed its decision to sever ties with DAP while still remaining in PR with PKR, after its motion to do so was approved without debate.

The two parties have been openly hostile over PAS’s ambition to enforce hudud in Kelantan.

The development drove DAP parliamentary leader Lim Kit Siang to declare PR dead and awaiting “funeral rites”.-The Malay Mail Online

KUALA LUMPUR: 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) has debunked various claims by former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamed in two blog entries entitled “The 1MDB Story” and “More Investments By 1MDB”.

Among others, were issues relating to Terengganu Investment Authority’s (TIA) money, purchase of land as well as a joint-venture with PetroSaudi and RM2bil said to be borrowed from billionaire, Ananda Krishnan.

“There was no attempt to hijack TIA money,” said 1MDB in a statement on Tuesday.

In 2009, various discussions were held between the Federal Government and the Terengganu state government on how each party would provide its share of funding for the TIA, whereby a number of options were discussed, it said.

Eventually, the Federal Government’s contribution consisted of it guaranteeing a RM5bil sukuk issuance by the TIA, which happened on May29, 2015. – Bernama

GEORGE TOWN: More work needs to be done to lure Chinese tourists back to Malaysia following the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 tragedy.

Tourism Malaysia Industry Development Division director Saidi Bundan said the tragedy had cast a pall over arrivals from China, which recorded a 27% drop in the first three months of this year compared to the corresponding period last year.

“The situation is not likely to improve in the near future, as it will take a long time to build up the trust of the Chinese tourists again.

“We are embarking on aggressive promotions in second-tier cities in China such as Nanjing and Fuzhou.

“We have to compensate for this drop by promoting Malaysia in other parts of the world, while also moving into the second-tier cities,” Saidi told reporters after a briefing and networking session with operators of Penang shopping outlets here yesterday.

On the shopping industry, he said tourists spent RM21.6bil in Malaysia last year.

He added that Penang was an important destination for shoppers, as the direct international flights had made the city a shopping heaven.

Recently, MCA president Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said the visa-free trial period for Chinese tourists should be carried out as soon as pos­­sible.

“We strongly feel that visa exemption is one of the ways to attract Chinese tourists. We hope the one-year trial period can take place as soon as possible,” he said.

If Malaysia exempted visas for Chi­­nese tourists, Liow believed China would do likewise for Malay­sian tourists.

The Cabinet has approved the visa-free proposal and will implement a one-year trial period to assess its feasibility and impact.

KUALA LUMPUR: Several Barisan Nasional MPs have urged Lembaga Tabung Haji to keep the parcel of land it bought from 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) as it could appreciate in value.

“From a businessman’s point of view, perhaps it is better not to sell the land first. What’s wrong with keeping the land if it could appreciate in value?” Liang Teck Meng (BN-Simpang Renggam) said during a minister’s winding up speech for the debate on the 11th Malaysia Plan in the Dewan Rakyat on Monday.

Datuk Seri Abdul Ghapur Salleh (BN-Kalabakan) added Tabung Haji is not a RM2 company, implying that it has vast experience in investments.

“Don’t sell the land because if we keep it, we stand to gain from it as it will increase in price,” he said of the parcel of land located at the Tun Razak Exchange (TRX).

Amran Ab Ghani (BN-Tanah Merah) also urged for Tabung Haji to reconsider selling the land, saying that those who criticised the decision had ill intentions.

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Jamil Khir Baharom said he would take note of the MPs calls and convey them to the Tabung Haji board to review.

He said all investments are made based on business transactions and not from orders from him or the Government.

Earlier, to a question by Tony Pua (DAP-Petaling Jaya Utara) on the update of offers to buy the TRX land, the minister said Tabng Haji was still evaluating the best offers.

“When we sell the land, we do not just want a return of our capital but we want to make a profit,” he said.-The Star