Hottest Online News Portal

Capital One Cup: Hull, Everton, Bournemouth Secure Fourth Round Spots

in Latest/Sports

JAKE LIVERMORE helped Hull reach the fourth round with a 1-0 win against Premier League Swansea after returning to the side for the first time since escaping a drugs ban.

The midfielder was suspended after testing positive for cocaine following a match at the end of last season.

However, the FA decided to be lenient on Livermore after it emerged he turned to the drug while suffering from depression after the death of his newborn son, choosing to give the player help with rehabilitation and education rather than a ban.

Livermore started at the KC Stadium, where he played a part in David Meyler’s winning goal for the Championship side.

It was Meyler’s first goal in seven months, following up after Kristoffer Nordfeldt saved Shaun Maloney’s header.

Tigers manager Steve Bruce said: “It was a big night for Jake and I’m sure he appreciated the support from the fans. He’s delighted to be back and it was like having a new player.”

Former Barcelona winger Gerard Deulofeu came to the rescue as Everton fought back from a goal down to beat Reading 2-1.

Striker Nick Blackman’s sixth goal in as many games gave the Premier League side a fright after 36 minutes but Ross Barkley levelled when the Royals failed to clear Deulofeu’s corner.

The Spaniard then hit the winner from a 25-yard free-kick.

Adam Federici emerged as the hero for Bournemouth as they beat Preston in a penalty shoot-out.

North End’s Daniel Johnson had converted a spot-kick to take the tie to penalties.

But he was unable to beat Federici again and, with the keeper also denying Jordan Hugill and Alan Brown, it was Bournemouth who scraped through.

Shaun MacDonald and Marc Pugh had scored earlier for the Cherries but Championship strugglers Preston took the tie into extra-time through Hugill’s late header and, when Johnson cancelled out Pugh’s effort, the stage was set for Federici. – Express

Latest from Latest

Go to Top