KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Aman and security forces in Sabah are verifying a report of the possible kidnapping of four Malaysians in Sulu waters on Thursday.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar (pic) said on Twitter that Bukit Aman have not received any report of such an incident.
â€œWe are still waiting for confirmation from the Philippines,â€ he said.
Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Rashid Harun said he was also unaware of any recent abductions of Malaysians in the area.
â€œI have not heard of it,â€ he said when asked about the report by Philippines broadcaster ABS-CBN stating that the four victims had been brought to Sulu on Thursday morning.
ABS-CBN quoted Tawi-Tawi police director S/Supt. Joselito Salido as saying a group of unidentified suspects allegedly brought the captives to the shores of Sitankai, Tawi-Tawi before transferring them to Sulu.
The radio station also stated that the Army’s Western Mindanao Command is verifying the information.
Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) chief Datuk Wan Abdul Beri Wan Abdul Khalid said they heard claims of another abduction but Esscom had not received any report of the incident.
Tawi Tawi police chief Sr Supt Elizalde Quiboyen said they had immediately carried out intelligence checks upon hearing claims of another abduction.
He said there had been no intelligence reports from the Sitangkai municipality close to Sabah borders of any â€œunusualâ€ movement of abduction victims in the area.
â€œWe would normally hear of these things because villagers would report them to their barangay captains,â€ Quiboyen added.
Last April, the Abu Sayyaf abducted four Sarawakians from a ship off the east coast of Sabah. The four who were held by the Abu Sayyaf in Jolo, were freed last week.