LONDON – The British filmmaker behind the controversial BBC Delhi gangrape documentary said India committed “international suicide” by banning the film from being screened in the country.
Director of ‘India’s Daughter’ Leslee Udwin said it was ironical that her purpose of “giving a gift of gratitude” to India had been misinterpreted as “pointing fingers at India”, Press Trust of India (PTI) reported.
“My whole purpose was to actually praise India, to single India out as a country that was exemplary in its response to this rape, as a country where one could actually see change beginning,” she said.
“The irony is that they are now accusing me of having wanted to point fingers at India, defame India and it is they who have committed international suicide by banning this film.”
Udwin said that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi would see similar thoughts echoed in the film as his ‘Beti Bachao’ (girl rights) campaign.
“If (Modi) spent one hour seeing this documentary, he would see his own statements since he got into power reflected in this film.
“The film is saying exactly what he’s saying with his ‘Beti Bachao’ campaign,” she said over the weekend.
The documentary – available online in the UK via BBC’s iplayer tool – features an interview of one of four men sentenced to death, Mukesh Singh, for rape, torture and murder of 23-year-old ‘Nirbhaya’ on a moving bus on Dec 16, 2012.
The Indian government last week banned broadcast of the documentary and asked YouTube to remove all links to the film. – Bernama