Cilantro or coriander may seem as just another green leafy vegetable to you, but it is an amazing herb, commonly used to add an aromatic flavour to your food, particularly tom yum. Besides being a delightful taste-booster, it also has a number of health and beauty benefits. All the parts of this plant are edible but, mostly, fresh leaves and dried seeds are used.
The stems, leaves and roots of the coriander plant are packed with carminative and antiseptic properties that help treat various disorders in your body.
Cilantro is rich in many nutrients like vitamin K, vitamin B, dietary fibres, minerals such as potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants that make it a useful herb to be included in your diet. Here are some superb health and beauty benefits of cilantro.
1.Treats Acne Removes Blackheads
This herb can do wonders to your acne-prone skin. The antiseptic and antibacterial properties of coriander help treat several skin disorders caused by bacterial infections. As it works as an anti-inflammatory agent, it soothes the skin and reduces blemishes caused by pimples. Besides this, the richness of vitamin E improves your skin health. The presence of water, iron and other nutrients in cilantro helps treat pimples and blackheads.
2. Good for Oily Skin
Cilantro herb is a boon for people with oily skin. Its juice can absorb excessive oil from your skin and thus, can give you an even skin texture. It can also remove dead skin cells and promote the production of new cells.
3. Gives You Younger Skin
As cilantro slows down the process of aging, it gives you a younger looking skin too. This herb is rich in antioxidants, which help prevent free radicals that damage skin cells. Thus, helps treat several skin conditions like wrinkles, pigmentation and sagging skin.
4. Treats Dark Lips
Our lips lose their natural color due to the excessive use of lipsticks and lip balms. Cilantro can be used to exfoliate your lips by removing the dead skin. You can restore the lip color by using cilantro juice on your lips.
5. Reduces Hair Fall
This natural herb can give you beautiful and voluminous hair. Cilantro contains all the essential vitamins and proteins required for hair growth. It has vitamin A, C & K, which strengthen the roots of hair by giving them proper nutrition. Cilantro also promotes new hair growth. The anti-microbial properties of cilantro can thoroughly cleanse your scalp, which in turn, prevents dandruff in your hair. This dandruff treatment reduces hair fall naturally.
6. Shiny Hair
Cilantro works as a natural hair conditioner and gives your hair a more stunning look. It treats oily scalp and helps get rid of dry and frizzy hair. Thus, keeps your hair healthy by providing them the needed nutrients.
DIY recipes you can try at home:
Coriander & egg white face lift
- Toss a handful of fresh, rinsed coriander leaves, 2 egg whites and 1/2 cup uncooked oats into a food processor.
- Blend till everything is well mixed and reaches a thick, paste-like consistency.
- Apply this paste to freshly cleansed face; let is sit for 10-15 minutes or until it hardens, then rinse off.
Blackhead-busting coriander spot treatment
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of coriander juice and lime juice.
- Apply on affected areas; leave for at least an hour, then wash off with warm water.
Banish those moles coriander salve
- Grind coriander seeds into a pulp using a mortar & pestle or food processor.
- Apply the pulp to your mole; cover with a bandage and leave for approximately an hour.
- Wash off with a gentle cleanser and moisturize as usual. You should start to see the mole lighten after 10 days. This treatment is safe to use daily and leave longer than one hour, if desired.
Getting lippy coriander balm
- Prepare a mixture of 2 teaspoons of coriander juice and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Apply this all over the lips and leave overnight. Wash off next morning and repeat the same for a few days to reveal smooth pink lips.
Icky itches coriander paste
- Make a paste of coriander seeds with a little bit of water and a teaspoon of honey.
- Apply this paste over the itchy skin for instant relief.
Healing coriander body oil
- Soak 1 tablespoon powdered coriander seeds in 1 cup of sunflower, almond or olive oil; let infuse for a week.
- Apply this oil all over your body at night, especially concentrating on areas that have been sunburnt, wounded or scarred; repeat daily.
Stop the hair loss coriander oil
- Add 1 tablespoon powdered coriander seeds to your hair oil and let them infuse for a week.
- Use this infused oil to massage your scalp at least twice a week. This will prevent further hair fall and help stimulate the roots for growth of new hair.