KEMAMAN – The temporary stoppage (moratorium) of bauxite mining activities in Pahang by the government is a relief to traders in Kampung Felda Neram 1 when their businesses returned to normal.
A trader, Safura Ismail, 46, said her business recovered since the first day of the moratorium on Jan 15.
“Thank God, I am relieved and very thankful at the temporary stoppage of the mining activities as business is back to normal and my income is recovering, and can reach RM900 a day.
“It was tough getting RM200 a day when the bauxite lorries were passing to and fro in front of my shop and the clients dwindled drastically. Now, my customers are returning,” she said when met by Bernama here.
Safura said her business was badly affected for almost a year, especially at one stage she was owing her suppliers, when the road in front of her shop became the thoroughfare for lorries carrying bauxite from Bukit Goh, Kuantan.
“Every morning, I sprayed water on the road to prevent the dust from blowing into the shop, spending up to RM480 for two or three months in water bills,” she said.
She also spent about RM300 to install curtains to prevent the dust from entering her shop.
Settler, Amran Embong, 60, of Kampung Tengah said the bauxite lorries passing through Kampung Felda Neram 1 left a bitter memory as his wife Ramlah Junoh, 59, died in October last year on the way to the Balok Clinic.
“My wife was having breathing difficulties at 3.30 pm and I switched on the emergency light but not one of the 30 bauxite lorries made way for us. It took me almost an hour to reach the clinic and my wife was confirmed to have died enroute,” he said.
Amran said, although the Bukit Goh Health Clinic was only 10 minutes from his house, he was forced to ferry his wife to the Balok Clinic because the road to Bukit Goh had been badly damaged by the bauxite lorries. – BERNAMA