HULU TERENGGANU – The Natural Resource and Environment Ministry will freeze the bauxite export licence of operators who did not comply with the set standard operating procedures.
Its Deputy Minister, Datuk Ir Hamim Samuri said the ministry would not compromise with any individuals who failed to adhere to the conditions issued.
He said the ministry and other agencies would continue to monitor the matter and carry out follow-up actions depending on the respective agencies such as the Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD), police and so on.
“If they fail to comply with the SOP, we will not hesitate to freeze their bauxite export licence…this is an assurance we can give.
“We will also discuss with the ministry and other agencies for follow-up actions according to their respective jurisdictions,” he told reporters after a working visit to Kampung Bukit Tadok, here today.
Also present were Deputy Communications and Multimedia Minister cum Hulu Terengganu MP Datuk Jailani Johari and Telemong state assemblyman Datuk Rozi Mamat.
According to Hamim, bauxite mining and transportation were still going on pending the Jan 15 deadline.
In the second month, clean up works and clearance of stocks would be conducted at the port, followed by the clearing of bauxite stocks in areas outside of Kuantan, he said.
On Wednesday, Natural Resource and Environment Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar announced a three-month moratorium on all bauxite mining activities in Pahang starting from Jan 15.
Wan Junaidi said to further curb pollution due to bauxite activities, the government had frozen the issuance of Approved Permits (AP) for mining since last week.
Hamim said after the three-month period, a new SOP would come into force.
He said the ministry would also monitor air pollution as well as affected areas including the sea and river due to bauxite mining activities.
Meanwhile, on floods in the state, Hamim said the ministry was proposing to improve and divert the flow of several rivers in the state.
He said among the locations identified included Hulu Terengganu to channel the water flow of Sungai Telemong into Sungai Chepoh estimated to cost RM13 million.
“However, it is still in the proposal stage and we will put the programme under the 11th Malaysia Plan (11MP) Rolling Plan to overcome the occurrence of floods in the area every year.
“We are proposing to implement the water channeling project from Sungai Telemong to Sungai Chepoh as a long-term measure,” he told reporters here today.
According to him, when the water flow slowed, it could cause overflow and floods even though the distribution of rainfall was also a factor to river overflow.
On the project involving the 72-kilometre long river, Hamim said the ministry would implement the project on the availability of allocations.
Floods in Hulu Terengganu at the end of last year caused more than 400 victims from 116 families from Kampung Tok Lawit, Kepah, Matang, Kuala Ping and Tengkawang to evacuate. – BERNAMA