KUALA LUMPUR- The much-awaited iOS 11 will be available tomorrow (Sept 19), and as announced by Apple CEO Tim Cook back at the Apple WWDC conference in June this year, the new OS will give a big boost and new capabilities to both the iPhone and iPad.
Although designed for the iPhone and iPad, the iOS 11 is the biggest software release ever for iPad, with improved multitasking features, the Files app and more ways to use Apple Pencil.
With the new OS, augmented reality (AR) is finally coming to hundreds of millions of iOS devices with a new platform for developers to build apps that let users place virtual content on top of real-world scenes.
Among the additional features include the ability to pay friends using Apple Pay, Do Not Disturb while driving to help users stay more focused on the road, even more intelligence and a new voice for Siri, and new professional capabilities to Photos and Camera.
Here are some new features the OS brings to the iPad.
– Powerful iPad features for even better multitasking, a new customizable dock, Files app and deeper integration of Apple Pencil;
– Professional Photos and Camera features, including new Loop and Bounce effects for Live Photos that create continuous video loops, and Long Exposure to capture time and movement;
– Siri’s new male and female voices and even more intelligence based on personal usage of Safari, News, Mail, Messages and more;
– New App Store experience to make discovering apps and games easier than ever before;
– Do Not Disturb while driving to help drivers stay more focused on the road (only for the United States for now);
– Redesigned Control Center that offers more customisation and quick access to frequently used controls all on one page, and a new Lock Screen for a more convenient way to see Notifications;
– Indoor maps in Apple Maps for major airports and shopping centers around the world and lane guidance to avoid missing a turn or exit (only in markets with Maps). -NST