TUMPAT – Umno vice-president Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi today advised voters in Pengkalan Kubor to not be influenced by accusations made by the opposition against the Barisan Nasional (BN) government.
He said the accusations were merely allegations by the opposition parties to win votes in the Pengkalan Kubor by-election.
“I have a few cases where people accused me of power abuse and misappropriation, but when I bring the matter to the court, they apologised and withdraw the allegations,” he told reporters at a function with the police here Thursday.
In a related development, Ahmad Zahid said police had received two reports on claims of the contents of talks containing seditious elements in the campaign for the Pengkalan Kubor by-election.
The Pengkalan Kubor by-election is called following the death of three-term assemblyman, Datuk Noor Zahidi Omar of Barisan Nasional (BN) on Aug 20.
The by-election is a three-cornered contest among Mat Razi Mat Ail (rpt) Ail of the BN, Wan Rosdi Wan Ibrahim of PAS and independent Izat Bukhary Ismail Bukhary.
Noor Zahidi had retained the seat in the general election held last year with a majority of 1,736 votes, beating Saharun Ibrahim of PKR and Izat Bukhary. – Bernama