KUALA LUMPUR – A total of 7,200 members of the Department of Civil Defence (JPAM) have been mobilised in Ops Bantu X starting today in conjunction with the Chinese New Year celebrations, with focus on 86 main routes throughout the country.
The first phase of the operations is from today until Feb 18 while the second is from Feb 22 to 24.
Home Ministry Secretary-General, Datuk Alwi Ibrahim said 14 Civil Defence State Offices (PNPA), 86 Civil Defence District Offices (PDPA) and more than 200 JPAM vehicles are involved in the operations.
“The Ops Bantu concept which is about ‘Patrol and Service’ and ‘Emergency Response’ is in its sixth year and 10th operation.
“It has a big impact on the safety and comfort of the public. The operations involve patrolling and providing early assistance to accident victims, helping to control traffic congestion as well as minor repairs to vehicles,” he said in a media conference after launching the Ops Bantu X at the JPAM headquarters, here today.
Ops Bantu is part of the JPAM special efforts each year, especially during the festival season, to reduce risks to motorists.
It is conducted twice a year.
Meanwhile, JPAM Director-General, Datuk Zaitun Ab Samad said last year, 830 cases with 1,309 victims were recorded during Ops Bantu VIII held in conjunction with Chinese New Year, while there were 780 cases with 3,827 victims reported during Hari Raya Aidilfitri (Ops Bantu IX). – BERNAMA