Celebrity makeup artist Kelsey Deenihan for the lip pencil basics. She knows the power of a good lipâ€”sheâ€™s responsible for Lucy Haleâ€™s many colourful poutsâ€”so listen up.
1. Prep your lips. â€œAs with any lipstick, you should make sure your lips are properly prepped,â€ says Deenihan. She recommends using Fresh Sugar Lip Polish ($23) to remove any dry skin that would prevent an even application. â€œWith matte lip crayons you can especially see chapped lips, and itâ€™s best to avoid that flakey look.â€
2. Use a liner. It might seem a little bit old school, but lip liner is great for defining your lip shape. Deenihan says by outlining your lips you create a guide, making it easier to apply your lip crayon. â€œIf youâ€™re using a lip crayon that is any texture other than matte, the lip liner will help the product stay on your lips and avoid any lipstick bleeding,â€ she says.
3. Donâ€™t be afraid to layer. â€œLayering lip pencils with other lipsticks is totally doable and encouraged,â€ says Deenihan. â€œPlay with textures and colors until you are happy with your creation. One of her favorite combinations? NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Belle du Jour ($25) mixed with Hourglass Femme Nude Lip Stylo in Number 6 ($30).
4. Go for matte. If youâ€™re looking for something long-lasting, Deenihan recommends a matte formula. They donâ€™t move around as much as a glossy or satin formula since they are dryer in texture. â€œTry first lining the whole lip with a lip liner in a similar color to increase longevity of the lip crayon or pencil,â€ she says.
5. Keep it sharp. Some of the lip crayons and pencils require sharpening and itâ€™s important that you maintain this. â€œIf the crayon isnâ€™t sharpened properly it can develop sharp edges,â€ says Deenihan. Most drugstore sharpeners offer dual blades to sharpen large and small pencils.-Yahoo! Beauty