Greek yoghurt is probably one of your go-to healthy snacks, as itâ€™s packed with good-for-your-bod protein and calcium. But the creamy stuff is also making a splash in the beauty world, with many brands incorporating the health food staple into skin-care and hair product formulas. You donâ€™t have to spend the big bucks to incorporate it into your beauty routine, though. Here are five easy DIY treatments starring Greek yoghurt thatâ€™ll give you clearer skin and shinier hair.
1. Glowing Complexion: Greek yoghurt is rich in probiotics, which can help minimize acne-related inflammation and redness and boost your complexionâ€™s hydration levels. Whatâ€™s more, the vitamin B in Greek yogurt will amp up your glow.
Vitamin B protects skin cells from oxidative damage and free radicals, keeping skin cells fresh and healthy. To reap the benefits, apply organic Greek yoghurt directly to your face, leave it on for 10 minutes like a mask, and then wash off.
2. Exfoliator: Greek yoghurt also contains lactic acid, which acts as a gentle exfoliant when applied to the skin. Plus, this ingredient has some anti-aging benefits and also helps improve acne since it stimulates new cell growth. Bryan suggests using Greek yoghurt as a cleanser in the morning before you put on your makeup. To do so, mix a quarter-sized amount with a little water and wash your face with it.
3. Hair Treatment: Â When consumed regularly, the proteins inside yoghurt help build strong hair and nails. But what you probably didnâ€™t know is that these same proteins also work wonders when applied topically. Greek yoghurt makes an excellent hair mask.Its creamy consistency and high protein content provides serious conditioning for dry and damaged hair. Whip up this hair mask, courtesy of the bloggers at Little Green Dot: Combine two tablespoons Greek yoghurt, one tablespoon honey, and 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil, and apply to strands, leaving on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing.
4. Tame Unruly Hair:Â Not only does Greek yogurt soften parched hair, itâ€™s also great at controlling frizz and making hair easier to style. Yoghurt smoothes, de-frizzes, and adds incredible shine. And if your hair tangles easily when being combed, Greek yoghurt can definitely soften it up. Use the same mask recipe for dry and damaged hair.
5. Soothe Itchy Scalp:Â Greek yoghurt can definitely help with any dandruff or itchy scalp problems. Thatâ€™s because it contains enzymes that help fight the itch. To make your own dandruff-buster, use this recipe: Mix 1/4 cup plain yoghurt with 1/4 cup jojoba oil, and massage into the scalp and hair. Put on a shower cap, leave the mixture on for 10 to 30 minutes, then rinse.