KUALA LUMPUR: The current search operation for MH370 is expected to be completed later this year, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said today.
He said the government remained hopeful that MH370 would be found in the 120,000 square kilometre area under investigation.
“If it is not (found), then Malaysia, Australia and China will hold a tripartite meeting to determine the way forward,” he said in a statement here today.
He said the Malaysian government remained committed to doing everything within its means to “solving what is an agonising mystery for the loved ones of those who were lost”.
“On this most difficult of days, our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who will never be forgotten,” he added.
Today marked the second anniversary of the disappearance of flight MH370.
“We mourn the loss of the 239 people, including 50 Malaysians, who were on board,” he said.
He said the discovery of debris on the island of Reunion last July provided further evidence that flight MH370 tragically ended in the southern Indian Ocean.
“But we know that neither the passage of time, nor this evidence, will comfort those whose grief cannot be assuaged,” he added.
The prime minister said the disappearance of MH370 was without precedent, and the search had been the most challenging in aviation history.
It was conducted amidst some of the world’s most inhospitable terrain, at depths of up to six kilometres, across underwater, mountain ranges, and in the world’s fastest currents.
The search teams have been working tirelessly to find MH370’s resting place and we are grateful for their efforts, he added.
Flight MH370, a Boeing 777, disappeared from Malaysian radars at 2.15am on March 8 after taking off from Kuala Lumpur International Airport for Beijing at 1.30am. It carried 239 passengers and crew.
On March 24, 2014, Najib announced that the final flight path of MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean.