KOTA BARU: The 3,000 contributors to the Malaysian Islamic Economic Development Foundation’s (Yapeim) “Amal Jariah” fund who terminated their monthly subscriptions through salary deductions will be given an explanation on its alleged mismanagement of funds.
Its director-general Datuk Abibullah Samsudin (pic) said this was only a temporary situation, and believed that they would continue contributing after allegations regarding misappropriation of Yapeim funds were proven untrue.
“We will sent press statements and related matters to them so they understand what is really happening,” he told reporters after a closed-door briefing session on issues faced by Yapeim here on Sunday night.
The programme was organised by a non-governmental organisation, the Council of Kelantan Professionals and was attended by Yapeim board of trustees deputy chairman Datuk Siti Zaleha Hussien and a board member Prof Datuk Mahamad Naser Disa, among others.
Abibullah said Yapeim now had about 5,000 Amal Jariah fund contributors under who contributed between RM1 and RM500 a month through salary deductions.
In a related development, he said an internal investigation was being conducted by Yapeim on the leak of information on the foundation’s financial management, besides the investigation by the police.
He said the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has also called an officer from the foundation for statement, but declined to elaborate on the matter.
Yapeim has made headlines since last week following claims of misappropriation of fund and excessive allowance payments to its top management personnel. – Bernama