KUCHING – The Works Ministry would prioritise three main projects in the Pan Borneo Highway development programme in Sarawak, involving RM490 million.
Its minister Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof said RM110 million of the amount would be for the construction of 22 overtaking lanes along the proposed highway.
“The companies that would be building the overtaking lanes have already been appointed,” he said, while launching the Unitar International University, Sarawak open house here Saturday.
He said upgrading of the road stretching five kilometres, from Km16 to Km21 along Jalan Kuching-Serian costing RM80 million would likely commence in May next year.
Fadillah said the long-haul route between Sibu and Bintulu would be upgraded at a cost of more than RM300 million.
According to him, other phases in the construction of the Pan Borneo highway would be undertaken by a company to be appointed by the economic planning Unit in the Prime Minister’s Department.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said while tabling the Budget 2015 last week, that RM27 billion would be allocated for the development of the 1,763-kilometre Pan Borneo highway linking Sabah and Sarawak.
Fadillah who is also Petra Jaya member of parliament, said a new bridge across the Sarawak River would also be built next year to link Kuching South City to a booming commercial and residential area.
He said the road network in the area would also be upgraded to four lanes. – BERNAMA