LENGGONG – A total of 153 units out of 1,083 houses under the Rebuilding of Permanent Houses for victims affected by the floods in Perak, Pahang, Terengganu and Kelantan in December last year are ready, said Works Minister Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof.
He said construction of 141 houses was in progress and expected to be ready by November.
“The remaining 793 houses are to be built in Kelantan, but work on the project has yet to get off the ground due to land problems,” he told a media conference after the opening of a new settlement project for flood victims in Kampung Padang Grus here Saturday.
The houses under the project were jointly built by the federal and state government, with the cooperation of the Perak Girl Guides’ Association.
It was opened by the Raja Permaisuri of Perak Tuanku Zara Salim. Also present was the Raja Puan Besar of Perak Raja Nor Mahani Raja Shahar Shah, who is the Malaysian Girl Guides’ Association deputy president.
Fadillah said negotiations were in progress between the federal and Kelantan government to address the problem.
“It is our target to get the houses ready by end of the year,” he added.
Earlier in his speech, Fadillah said the federal government had allocated RM800 million for repair of infrastructure facilities, like schools, hospitals and roads, which were damaged in the floods.
He said RM383.6 million was allocated to the ministry for repair of roads, bridges and slopes. – BERNAMA