NEW YORK – A United Nations spokesman said Wednesday that some 137,000 people have been displaced from Tell Refaat, Nabul, Zahraa and Fafin, Afrin district in Syria, as a result of hostilities and military operations that began on January 20, Xinhua news agency reported.
In addition, about 150,000 people remain inside Afrin where access to people in need continues to be extremely limited,” Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, told a daily news briefing, citing the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
“”While the UN continues to provide assistance to people displaced from Afrin, the UN does not have direct regular access to the district, and humanitarians operating in the area continue to face access challenges, largely due to movement restrictions enforced by actors on the ground,” he said.
On Tuesday, the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock briefed the Security Council by providing update on Raqqa and other cities.
Lowcock said about 100,000 people have returned to Raqqa city since Daesh militants were forced out of Raqqa in October last year.
‘’However the conditions are not conducive for residents due to the high level of unexploded ordnance and improvised explosive device contamination, widespread and severe infrastructural damage, and lack of basic services.” – BERNAMA