JAKARTA – Police confirmed 12 people were killed, while 71 others were injured, in the fire that raged through the karaoke centre owned by Indonesian Queen of Dangdut, Inul Daratista, at Megamas complex, Manado, North Sulawesi early Sunday.
Local news portals quoted Manado District Police chief Rio Permana as saying that the karaoke centre, which was located at the third floor of the complex, was packed with patrons, when the fire broke out at 1 am.
Most of the patrons were unaware of the fire until the very last minute, he said.
Many of them were trapped as there was only one exit door. Some even jumped from the second and third floor, he added.
All bodies and those injured were taken to Kandou Malalayang Hospital, Manado.
The fire, believed to be caused by a short circuit, was completely put out at 3.30 am.
Meanwhile, Inul posted on Instagram that the mishap was a reminder for her to take extra precautions against fire in the future. – BERNAMA